Classic Meat Lasagne
There’s nothing better than a Classic Meat Lasagne for a comforting family meal or to feed a crowd. This recipe is the best I’ve ever tasted. I think it’s the homemade, slow simmered bolognase sauce that makes all the difference. If you want to make a lasagne that will take it over the top, this is it!
We are a family of 5 and this is the lasagne that keeps on giving. Have you ever ordered pasta in a restaurant and although you feel like you’ve been eating it for an hour, it still looks like the same amount left in the bowl? Every time you cut a slice of this lasagne, the noodles and cheese seem to fill the space you just created. We can barely get through half of this lasagne, but luckily it makes for great leftovers. The recipe takes a little time to simmer the meat sauce but it is absolutely delicious. Assembly is easy, especially with the no boil noodles. If you follow this step by step, it’s basically foolproof. Make it ahead, finish it in the oven and dinner is done!
Classic Meat Lasagne
There's nothing better than a Classic Meat Lasagne for a comforting family meal or to feed a crowd. This recipe is the best I've ever tasted. I think it's the homemade, slow simmered Bolognese sauce that makes all the difference. If you want to make a lasagne that will take it over the top, this is it!
Servings: 10 people
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. italian sausage
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 1 28 oz. Can Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes
- 2 6 oz. Can Tomato Paste
- 2 6.5 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoons Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley divided
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 No Boil Lasagne Noodles
- 16 oz. Whole Milk Ricotta
- 1 Egg
- 1 lb. Fresh Mozzarella sliced
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan
- Add EVOO to large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, salt and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add sausage, beef and cook through, about 10 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water and sugar. Add in fresh chopped basil, fennel seeds, red pepper chili flakes, italian seasoning, bay leaf, 1 T of the dried parsley, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered for about 2 hours. If it starts to get too thick, you can add a little more water to continue cooking and develop the flavors.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a separate mixing bowl, add ricotta, egg and remaining parsley, stir to combine.
- Spread a few ladles of the sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish. Arrange the no boil lasagne noodles over the meat sauce. Add about 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the sliced mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Repeat next layer of noodles, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan. Then final layer of noodles, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan for 3 layers total.
- Cover with a lid or foil sprayed with baking spray to avoid sticking. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove lid and cook additional 20 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted and bubbly. Cool for a few minutes and serve!