Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
The only thing better than a quick & easy Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry is leftovers for lunch the next day! I always make extra for this very reason. Recently, I was asked to do a cooking demo for Williams-Sonoma using the Hestan NanoBond Wok. This wok is the perfect choice for high-heat cooking since it can withstand temps up to 1050F and cleans up looking new. This recipe is a favorite of my entire family and perfect for weeknight cooking!
Stir fry dishes are extremely important to have all of your mise-en-place ready to go. The cooking process is hot and fast, no time to stop and prep the next step. Speaking of heat, the wok needs to be smoking hot. Peanut oil is the best choice for this style of cooking. The smoke point of peanut oil is about 450F, so it’s much higher than other oils that are not as refined. This is my go to oil for most types of asian cooking or frying. This Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry will give you all of the flavors of take-out in your own kitchen. If you follow the steps as I’ve laid them out, you will have a fantastic, healthy dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
- 4 Chicken Breast sliced lengthwise and then into thin strips
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 heads Broccoli Washed and cut into smaller florets
- 2 Tbs. Oyster Sauce
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 4 Green Onions Sliced thin on a bias, white and green parts, divided in half
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds dry toasted until golden brown and fragrant
- 1/4 cup Peanut Oil more as needed
- 1 Tbs. Corn Starch
- 1 Tbs. Fresh Ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbs. siracha
- 1/3 cup Low Sodium Soy
- 1/4 cup Mirin
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 Tbs. Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbs. Honey
- Slice the chicken breast lengthwise through the middle to create thinner pieces. Slice the chicken thin and add to a bowl of low sodium soy and sesame oil. Set aside. This can be done a few hours ahead.
- Next prep the broccoli by cutting it into small florets. Slice green onions thinly, on a bias. Set both aside.
- In a dry pan over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until golden and fragrant. Set aside.
- Make the sauce in a bowl by combining the corn starch, ginger, garlic, siracha, soy, miring, white pepper, sesame oil and honey. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Heat a large Wok over high heat and preheat for about 5 minutes. Add in peanut oil. Add chicken, in batches in a single layer so you don't crowd the pan. You want to get some color on the chicken with high heat and crowding the pan will lead to steaming it. Cook chicken 1-2 minutes per side, it will finish cooking at the end. Remove and set aside until all batches are finished.
- Add a little more peanut oil, then add broccoli to the wok. Stirring over high heat until slightly charred, only 1-2 minutes. Add oyster sauce and chicken stock, cover with a lid for an additional 1-2 minutes to steam broccoli until cooked but still slightly al dente.
- Add chicken back into the wok, half of the green onions, add the sauce and stir to combine. The corn starch will enable the sauce to thicken. Cook for another 2 minutes until sauce has thickened, chicken is completely cooked through and everything is coated in the sauce.
- Serve over a bowl of Jasmine rice and top with remaining green onions and toasted sesame seeds.