Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
You all know I love a good challenge! I was so excited to be invited once again to participate in the blogger recipe challenge with JSL Foods. This year, it was to come up with a unique recipe using their brand-new line of Fortune Gluten Free Noodles. I love a good pasta, stir fry or soup but it’s an added bonus to me if the noodles are gluten free and you can’t taste the difference. Win-Win! I like being able to indulge a little but I feel so much better using ingredients that are a healthy choice. Ultimately, that’s what I discovered with this new line of noodles from JSL.
After winning the recipe contest last year for my creation of Pork Banh Mi Egg Rolls, I was encouraged to participate again. As you probably know, I will only promote a product that I really like. I’ve been invited to other recipe challenges where I have declined because I didn’t feel I’d be the best fit for the product. What you get with me is a true, honest opinion. So, I set out to try these noodles and I can tell you they are delicious! The next step was to come up with a recipe that would be creative, that my family would enjoy & be easy enough for a weeknight meal or elevated enough to serve on a weekend.
For this recipe, I decided to make a Red Thai Chicken Chili Soup using the JSL Fortune Gluten Free Udon Noodles in the Garlic Chicken flavor. The dinner came together quickly on a Thursday night and my family devoured it! No leftovers here! Whether you are trying to lighten up your diet with gluten free options or you are seeking gluten free foods for health reasons, these noodles are the perfect choice! The Fortune Gluten Free noodles are NEW to market, Shelf Stable and can be found in Asian Dry Grocery Section in grocery stores. They also have zero trans fats, are GMO- and cholesterol-free, contain no artificial coloring or flavoring, and provide 3 to 4 grams of protein per serving. You can purchase Fortune Gluten Free Noodle products at Albertsons, Von’s, Safeway, Dierbergs Markets and Cub Foods. Enjoy!
** Update – This recipe won 2nd place in the JSL Foods recipe contest!
Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
- 2-4 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken Breasts Cut into 1/2" pieces
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Seeded & sliced thinly
- 8 oz. Mushrooms Cleaned & sliced thinly
- 1 Tbs. Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Tbs. Fresh Ginger Minced
- 3 Tbs. Red Thai Curry
- 3 Cups Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock Preferably Homemade or Organic
- 1 Package Fortune Udon Garlic Chicken Gluten Free Noodles Or flavor or your choice
- 2 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 2-4 Tbs. Fresh Cilantro Chopped & divided for garnish
- 1/2 Lime Juiced, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 1 Tbs. Thai Basil Chopped for ganish (optional)
- 1 Tbs. scallions Chopped for garnish (optional)
- Prepare chicken by cutting it into 1/2' pieces and tossing it in a bowl with kosher salt and black pepper.
- In a large skillet with deep sides, heat pan to medium high and add Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Sear chicken in batches so it is brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Reserve in a bowl and continue cooking in batches. Chicken will not be cooked completely through yet.
- In the same pan, add another Tbs. of EVOO, add diced onion over medium low heat, add salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan and cook onions about 5 minutes until translucent. Add bell pepper and continue to saute over medium heat for 3 more minutes. Finally, add the sliced mushrooms, stir to combine and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, ginger and lemongrass, red thai curry and stir to combine all of the flavors. Cook for 3-5 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add chicken back into the pan and cook 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add Chicken Stock and Fortune Gluten Free Noodles, bring to a boil and follow package instructions to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add spinach to wilt. Stir and add chopped cilantro and squeeze of 1/2 lime.
- Serve in a bowl with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, thai basil, scallions and a squeeze of lime...enjoy!