Roasted Tomato Soup
I’m not sure there’s a better combo that exists than Roasted Tomato Soup and a Grilled Cheese with Gruyere on Sourdough. I make this Roasted Tomato Soup all year long. Even though tomatoes are at their height of ripeness during the summer, this method of slow roasting them will bring out natural sweetness even when they’re not at their peak.
Another option is to make a big batch or two and freeze it for the winter months when there aren’t any great tomatoes in sight. This recipe is super simple and the result produces such a depth of flavor, it is completely satisfying. Similar to my Roasted Butternut Squash and Ginger Carrot recipe, it is so rich you would swear it has cream added, but it doesn’t. Of course, you can’t forget to pair it with a grilled Gruyere cheese on sourdough to dunk…now you’ve taken it out of this world!
Roasted Tomato Soup
Healthy, rich and satisfying, this Roasted Tomato Soup has no cream added.
- 12 Roma Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- Kosher Salt
- 1 Head Garlic Cut in half cross-wise
- 1 Yellow Onion sliced in chunks, skin on
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence dried
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil julienned
- Preheat oven to 275F. Slice tomatoes lengthwise, toss in a bowl with EVOO, onion quarters (skin on) and garlic head halves (in tact), salt and pepper. Place in a single layer face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast at 275F for one hour. Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly, leave the oven on.
- Remove the skins from the tomatoes and flip the tomatoes, onions and garlic over. Drizzle again with EVOO, salt and pepper and sprinkle with Herbs de Provence. Place back in the oven and continue to roast at 275F for another hour.
- Remove from the oven, scoop tomatoes, onions (remove peels) and garlic (remove from skins), chicken stock and pan juices to a large pot or dutch oven and simmer for 10 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender as an alternative) on high until completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, top with julienned fresh basil.